[syslog-ng] dropped log?

SZALAY Attila sasa at pheniscidae.tvnetwork.hu
Mon Aug 17 11:55:53 CEST 2009

Hi All!

On Fri, 2009-08-14 at 11:42 -0500, fedora fedora wrote:

> So what exactly does "dropped='pipe(/dev/xconsole)=5093'" mean? The
> load of this server is not heavy at all, i guess most of these
> messages are firewall logs,  why so many logs got dropped?

I think that this is because nobody listen on the other end of that
pipe.

The /dev/xconsole pipe is a traditional pipe for log readers in X
system. The last time when I see a program reading that file is not
after 1998. That program write the log messages to the X console when
nobody logged in.

I think you can safely remove that destination especially if you not use
it. :)