[syslog-ng] port 514 not used

stephen.greenfield at wachovia.com stephen.greenfield at wachovia.com
Sat Aug 15 18:19:32 CEST 2009

I should have sent more detail originally.

        system:                 SLES10 PatchLevel 1

        release:                syslog-ng-1.6.8-20.18

        server function:                syslog server, collecting syslog's
from various clients

        problem:                want to open port 514 to collect syslog
info over network

syslog-ng.conf, the server
                                collects local syslog information, I
uncomment the udp
                                source entry and restart the daemon.  The
syslog-ng
                                then shows listening on various ports,
never constant
                                and never port 514.

# netstat -anp | grep LISTEN | grep 53
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     5364   2161/acpid
/var/run/acpid.socket
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     5307   2134/resmgrd
/var/run/.resmgr_socket