[syslog-ng] 3.0.3: Accessing unix-dgram source appears to break all logging

Markus Stalder ms2 at lightupnet.de
Wed Aug 5 16:14:32 CEST 2009

> But who and what is reading the fifo /tmp/.tivoli/.logfile. in your
> configuration? Opening a fifo for write will hang until someone else opens
> it for read, that's how named pipes work...

Thanks for your reply.

As said before, the config worked just fine with 2.0.9. Also, the
following config snippet will produce the exact same effect, ALL logging
will stop, and there's no fifo involved at all:

destination dings { udp("172.30.10.204" port(514) );
file("/var/monitoring/chk/logs/chk.log"); };
filter f_local5 { facility(local5); };
filter f_info { level(info); };
log { source(src); filter(f_local5); filter(f_info); destination(dings); };

So, it got to be about the source, since only this snippet and the
previous one refer to the unix-dgram source "src". If I comment them,
everything works fine, and I got a few dozen other log-entries in the
config which refer to the unix-stream source "s_all".

Again, *ALL* logging stops! Or, put differently: syslog-ng stops to log
anything. It stops working.

Thanks,
Markus