[syslog-ng] GThread error when starting syslog-ng

Scott Foster Scott.Foster at MerrickBank.com
Fri Apr 17 00:49:37 CEST 2009

I have installed syslog-ng on a CentOS v5.2 server.  I have also
installed the required dependency rpms.  I am not using any database
server for this (just plain old logging).  When I attempt to start the
syslog-ng service I get the below error:

[root at it188v ~]# service syslog-ng start

Starting syslog-ng:

GThread-ERROR **: file gthread-posix.c: line 140 (): error 'Operation
not permitted' during 'pthread_getschedparam (pthread_self(), &policy,
&sched)'

aborting...

/bin/bash: line 1:  8888 Aborted                 /sbin/syslog-ng

                                                           [FAILED]

[root at it188v ~]#

I've Googled anything about gthread and can't find anything useful.  Any
yes I am a newbie to Linux.

Would someone clue me in on this issue?

Froste

****************************************************************************This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this e-mail in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please return the e-mail to the sender at Merrick Bank and delete it from your computer. Although Merrick Bank attempts to sweep e-mail and attachments for viruses, it does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses.