[syslog-ng] Failure to source one file prevents entire syslog-ng logger from running

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 15 10:26:25 CEST 2009

Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 12:58 +0100, Hari Sekhon wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>>    While I was away on holiday, another sysadmin changed the path of a
>> 3rd party application logfile that I was I sourcing in syslog-ng (it
>> cannot log directly to syslog). This caused the whole syslog-ng logger
>> to basically fail to work/(re)start, giving an the error:
>>
>> Starting syslog-ng: Persistent configuration file is in invalid format,
>> ignoring;
>> Error opening file for reading; filename='/path/to/file.log', error='No
>> such file or directory (2)'
>> Error initializing source driver; source='s_file_blah'
>>
>> And auto-restarting the logger of course didn't work either since every
>> time a restart is initiated the thing simply bailed out with this error.
>>
>> Shouldn't this error simply throw up a warning and continue logging the
>> rest of what's happening on the system, rather than leaving a hole in
>> the audit trail because it cannot lock in one source???
>> (Even better: start regardless, do what it can and then periodically
>> check the source again, and every time it cannot get the source open,
>> log a warning in syslog so that it can be caught by the monitoring
>> infrastructure)
>>
>> Any suggestions for a workaround/option to prevent anything like this
>> ever happening again in future would be welcome.
>>

> This is what syslog-ng 3.0 does by default. Every input file is checked
> every follow_freq() seconds and is reopened if it did not exist.

Ok, am on 2.x, will upgrade to 3.x.

Does it log to syslog if the source is still unavailable every
follow_freq() secs? This would be nice so that my monitoring
infrastructure will alert me as to this problem rather than syslog-ng
silently failing to pick up the source.

Thanks

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
Always open to interesting opportunities