[syslog-ng] Installer feedback

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Tue Apr 14 13:28:13 CEST 2009

Hi,

Thank you very much. Your feedback is really appreciated, I'm just a
little bit lagged behind my todo items, thus the delay in the response.

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 18:23 -0400, srainville at videotron.ca wrote:
> Here's my feedback on the installers:
>

> RHEL 4.x (32 and 64) syslog-ng server installer: No problems. Replaced
> an older (2.0.4) version of syslog-ng without any issues.
>

> SuSE 10SP1 - 32bit syslog-ng client installer: Installed correctly but
> didn’t replace the existing syslog-ng installation (1.6.8) which ships
> with SuSE 10SP1.

Did you use the .rpm or the .run based installer? Neither one is
intended to completely remove the system supplied syslog-ng package, it
merely "disables" it and runs the newly installed syslog-ng instead.

> SuSE 10SP1 - 32bit syslog-ng server installer: Installed correctly,
> replaces the current syslog-ng implementation

hmm.. it should behave the same as the 'client' installer, effectively
the two packages are the same, except for a few missing files.

> and moves the configuration to /opt/syslog-ng/etc/syslog-ng.conf. It
> didn't replace/remove the rcsyslog script. Must now
> use /opt/syslog-ng/sbin/syslog-ng to stop/start/restart the process.

Hm.. the installer should've created an /etc/init.d/syslog-ng script
which you can use to control the process. The rcsyslog script is only a
symlink. Does it cause any problems that it is still pointing to the old
syslog init script?

suse-10:~ # ls -la /sbin/rcsyslog
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2008-09-25 14:45 /sbin/rcsyslog -> /etc/init.d/syslog

Is there an application that launches syslog-ng with this script?