[syslog-ng] INCLUDE not working for me :(

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Wed Apr 1 09:11:58 CEST 2009

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback, it's really appreciated.

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 09:38 -0500, Charles Jennings wrote:
> Looks like I was mistaken.  The install did work - but I just didn't realize
> it.
> (I had already chmod -x /etc/init.d/syslog when I installed compiled
> version)
>
> However, A couple of points to the installer:
>
> 1)	Positive feedback needed.

There are multiple installers for syslog-ng right now, and the ".run"
based installers (that can run on RHEL/SUSE/Debian) has positive
feedback. My understanding of RPM based systems is that rpms are not
usually interactive.

On Debian, there's debconf and the installer uses that to ask for some
installation options, but rpm has no similar feature.

We could perhaps write messages to the console, but I don't see how we
could make the RPM interactive without affecting the non-interactive
installations.

> 2)	Notify users that their existing configuration is migrated. (this
> one took a while to figure out)
> 	(Mine moved from /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf to
> /opt/syslog-ng/etc/syslog-ng.conf)
> 3)	Notify users that the init script is being modified.

Again, I think this can be solved by writing important notifications to
the standard output.

> 4)	Change init script to act like other RHEL5 scripts:
> 	Old:	[OK]	in green at certain column position
> 	Now:	OK - no bracket, no green, located right after text.

We're using LSB based initscripts so that we can integrate with the
systems better, however a lot of distributions have bugs in their LSB
installations (such as RHEL5 and anything before that) so we're falling
back to our own LSB implementation. But that is meant to be run on all
systems, thus it is not completely the same as RHEL5.

Anyway, I'll see if we can reuse at least parts of the local LSB
implementation, such as printing the success/failure of the daemon
startup.

> 5)	Change path statement to reflect new executable location
> 	(mine was still looking at old executable)

This is difficult again. What path to modify, the system wide default,
or the root's local settings. Is he using bash/ksh/zsh/tcsh. Each has a
different startup script.

That's why this is not implemented. The .run based installers displays a
notification dialog that you need to change your PATH environment
variable in order to use the new binaries from the shell prompt. But
again, since the RPM is completely silent, this is not printed.

Do you think it'd be enough to print this information? I'd be reluctant
to break the user's profile script.

Also, does the "include" file feature work for you after installation?