[syslog-ng] syslog-ng and "program" function (was:RE:Troublewith logging to mysql)

Geller, Sandor (IT) Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Thu Sep 18 15:49:14 CEST 2008

Hello,

> Hi!
>
> Unfortunately...
> > > The only other thing I can
> > > suggest is to send it to a script of your own instead of
> > > mysql and in your script you can see *exactly* what mysql
> > > would receive on its stdin.
> ...this didn't work either.
>
> I know it's strange, but it seems that syslog-ng doesn't understand
> the "program" and "pipe"-directives any more. Well... that's not
> completely true. It understands them, as fas as it does not complain
> when I'm using them, but both produce no output AT ALL!

Sorry, this doesn't make any sense. Show us the following:

1. you full configuration. you can mask proprietary information
2. a capture of the network traffic which proves that the logs
 arrive to your host
3. a strace output of the syslog-ng daemon which proves that it
 did receive the packets
4. the resources your syslog-ng daemon is actually using, like
 `ls -l /proc/[PID]/fd`, netstat output, etc.

AFAIK syslog-ng 1.6 fires up the program destination every time
it writes a message. So you won't see the program running when
there is no traffic on the destination.
2.0 runs the program only once, and starts it again only when the
program exited.

Regards,

Sandor