[syslog-ng] Reload does not free up RAM

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Oct 2 09:55:37 CEST 2008

On Wed, 2008-10-01 at 09:54 -0700, Evan Rempel wrote:
> We have cases where a syslog-ng buffers quite a bit of data (2GB or so) before
> it is able to flush the data to the destination. Currently, the only way to "free up" that RAM
> is to restart syslog-ng, which means that some log messages are lost during the restart
> window.
>
> I open for discussion the idea that on a reload that syslog-ng flush and free all buffer
> space and essentially start from a "just started" state again.

Well, this is currently a PE feature, and BalaBit decided not to open
source it this time with 3.0 as that's one of the primary incentives to
buy the commercial version.

PE with its persistent disk buffers is saving queue contents upon
restart right into the disk buffer file. And also, syslog-ng does not
buffer so much data in memory as it first uses the disk.