[syslog-ng] v2.1.2 Open Source Version: Error resolving user; user

Saunders, Shawn Shawn.Saunders at wmg.com
Tue Nov 18 21:25:59 CET 2008

When I start syslog-ng 2.1.2 (Opensource)  I receive the following
error.

It worked fine with the same syslog-ng.conf file under v2.0.9

Starting syslog-ng: Error resolving user; user='root'

Error resolving user; user='root'

Error resolving user; user='root'

Error resolving user; user='apache'

Error resolving user; user='apache'

Error resolving user; user='apache'

These users do exist.  I use them and their existence is
self-explanatory.

I have tried using the UID #'s for them and get basically the same
errors.  Any ideas?

I have tried even moving these entries from the destination to the
global section to no avail.

Here is a sample:

destination d_somelocation_logs {

   file (
"/content/syslog/somelocation/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/$FULLHOST-$FACILITY-$YEA
R-$MONTH-$DAY.log"

   owner(apache) group( apache ) perm ( 0600 ) dir_perm( 0755 )
create_dirs ( yes )

   template ( "$MESSAGE\n" ) );

};

Am I loosing my mind?

This seems pretty clear, and it always worked before.

One of the reasons I upgraded was the hope of utilizing the parser
function and templatizing my 507 line conf file, but until I get the
basics working again without the errors, I don't know.

Thank you,

Shawn Saunders

UNIX Systems Administrator

818.953.2649

WMG, Digital Properties

"UNIX is user-friendly ... it's just selective about who its friends
are!!"