[syslog-ng] I/O error occurred while reading; fd='4',error='Operation not permitted (1)'

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Tue Nov 18 15:02:20 CET 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 19:40 -0200, Florian Grandel wrote:
> I Matt and Bazsi,
>
> as Bazsi said, the problem is less one of syslog-ng but one of
> permissions in the kernel. Access to /proc/kmsg is not only governed by
> file permissions but also by process capabilities. In this case reading
> from /proc/kmsg causes internal system calls that are only accessible to
> the superuser.
>
> There have been several kernel patches proposed ([1], [2], to give just
> a few examples). Kernel developers have already extensively discussed
> the topic [3].
>
> The only practical solution I know of is the one implemented by Ubuntu
> in their klogd init script. They are using a daemonized dd process
> running as root that forwards messages from /proc/kmsg to the log process:
>
> kmsgpipe=/var/run/klogd/kmsg

> # create klog-writeable pid and fifo directory
> mkdir -p /var/run/klogd
> chown klog:klog /var/run/klogd
> mkfifo -m 700 $kmsgpipe
> chown klog:klog $kmsgpipe
>
> # shovel /proc/kmsg to pipe readable by klogd user
> start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile $kmsgpidfile --exec /bin/dd -b -m --
> bs=1 if=/proc/kmsg of=$kmsgpipe
>
> # start klogd as non-root with reading from kmsgpipe
> start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --chuid klog --exec $binpath -- $KLOGD
>
> I think that this exact solution can be easily ported to syslog-ng.

Starting with syslog-ng OSE/PE 3.0, syslog-ng manages its own
capabilities, thus it is able to read /proc/kmsg after switching to
another uid.

This means that syslog-ng retains the CAP_SYS_ADMIN capability, which is
way stronger than it should be, but I guess the kernel part is not going
to change.

The hack that you mention Ubuntu is doing would work for syslog-ng as
well, not very nice from the performance point of view, though.

As there are two alternatives for running syslog-ng as non-root, I would
not like to add this hack to syslog-ng:
  1) run klogd, just as before
  2) run syslog-ng 3.0, which manages its own capabilities, with
CAP_SYS_ADMIN present in the cap-set /proc/kmsg can be read.