[syslog-ng] Problems compiling on RHEL 5 (flex error)

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Nov 6 11:35:34 CET 2008

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 12:26 -0500, Douglas E. Warner wrote:
> Douglas E. Warner wrote:
> > Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> >> The distribution tarball should contain an already generated .c file
> >> suitable for compiling syslog-ng. It is present there to avoid the build
> >> dependency on flex (only needed if you change the lexer file).
> >>
> >> I'm using flex 2.5.34 myself, and it works fine here.
> >
> > Right, I see that, but for some reason (most likely timestamp issues)
> > the file still wants to be regenerated.
> >
> > The flex version I'm having problems with is 2.5.4 on RHEL 5 (and lower).
> >

> The workaround I've found is to touch the files generated by flex
> (cfg-grammer.c and cfg-lex.c) before configuring/building the packages (in the
> spec file's %prep section).  This prevents make from trying to rebuild these
> files.

In the meanwhile I've found that the problem is caused by the '%top'
directive, that only recent flex versions support.

As I see it was added as a workaround for an AIX compilation issue. I'm
testing a patch that removes the "%top" directive, but should still
compile on AIX. If it works out, I'll remove the flex 2.5.34 dependency.