[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng does not start Solaris 9

ye boy o0yeboy0o at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 06:42:12 CEST 2008

In case anyone else happens across this problem,  I was  finally able to resolve it.  Generally speaking, we disable rshd during hardening.  In this event, it looks like a couple fell through the cracks.  Once I disabled rshd (the 'shell' lines) and did a kill -HUP on inetd, syslog-ng started right up.

Original post ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been migrating all of our Solaris 9 servers to syslog-ng.  While
everything is working fine on most of them, two of them are displaying
the following problem:

When I attempt to start syslog-ng, it fails as follows:
    # /etc/init.d/syslog start
    syslog-ng service starting.
    Error binding socket; addr='AF_INET(0.0.0.0:514)', error='Address already in use (125)'
    Error initializing source driver; source='inputs'
    #

Any
idea how to resolve this?  I may need a direct response, as I have not
received anything from the list yet (just signed up before writing
this).  o0yeboy0o at yahoo.com

Thanks,
Thomas