[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 2.0.8 dropped messages - totally confused

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Thu Mar 27 17:01:11 CET 2008

Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 09:46 -0700, Evan Rempel wrote:
>> Another instance of dropped messages, but all statics records from syslog-ng indicate that no messages were dropped.
>>
>> Here is the logging path
>>

>> Server C - syslog-ng 2.0.8
>> 	- file destination
>> 	- tcp destination A
>> 	- tcp destination B
>>
>> Server A - syslog-ng 2.0.8 Linux 2.6.x
>> 	- tcp source
>> 	- pipe destination
>> Server A - syslog-ng 2.0.8 linux 2.6.x
>> 	- pipe source with flow-control
>> 	- file destination
>>
>> Server B - syslog-ng 2.0.8 Linux 2.6.x
>> 	- tcp source
>> 	- pipe destination
>> Server B - syslog-ng 2.0.8 linux 2.6.x
>> 	- pipe source with flow-control
>> 	- file destination
>>

>> Server C logged 608955 messages
>> Server A logged 351502 messages
>> Server B logged 179874 messages
>>
>> None of the servers record any dropped messages.
>> syslog-ng does not report dropped messages on file destinations, but with the flow-control
>> any drops should occur at the server that writes to the pipe.
>>
>> Anyone want to propose an explanation?
>
> Isn't this the same as the previous one? E.g. the tcp connections could
> not be established at startup from Server C -> Server A and Server C ->
> Server B

No, not in this case. All servers were up and connected, and logging some
information on the channel, however, many messages never got do disk on
the receiving servers.

> Otherwise I can't see where it could lose messages, it should at least
> report it.

I'm glad that you think it should. This was my understanding to.

What about dropping at the incoming buffer? Is there something related
to log_iw_size that would result in messages begin discarded, but
since it is not related to a destination, no drop counter is increased?

Are the upper limits to the buffer size numbers such as 64K, 2G, 4G etc. We use very
large buffers (20 million) and log_is_size(10 million)

> I'm going to add a "global" drop counter, just as in 1.6.x;
> it might give a clue in these situations.

A long time ago you mentioned that you wanted to implement a different
statistics reporting mechanism. Have you made any progress in that area?

I would like to see drop counters for file destinations. If a filesystem becomes
full, I want to know how many messages were dropped, or none if it
gets fixed prior to buffers being exhausted. I need to confirm that no messages
were dropped.

Evan.

Evan Rempel                erempel at uvic.ca
Senior Programmer Analyst        250.721.7691
Computing Services
University of Victoria