[syslog-ng] syslog-ng client messages delayed

mark peters markp777jp at yahoo.co.jp
Thu Mar 27 15:19:38 CET 2008

Hi,

We are running into a issue where syslog-ng clients who
are configured to forward to a central syslog-ng
destination server that are reasonably chatty are getting
there messages delayed at the source (ie. 'tcpdump'ing the
client shows it is sending messages from N minutes ago,
where N is anything from 5 to 60 minutes on average
sometimes more). We have also seen a small percentage of
loss at the destination.

On these 'delayed' clients we also see the resident memory
footprint on the growing. Clients are running 1.6.12 (have
tried 2.0.8 also - same symptons). The central syslog-ng
server is running 2.0.8.

relevant config entries are:

syslog-ng client:

options { sync (1);
          time_reopen (10);
          log_fifo_size (2097152);
          long_hostnames (off);
          use_dns (no);
          use_fqdn (no);
          create_dirs (no);
          keep_hostname (yes);
        };

destination d_central { tcp("log2.xyz.com" port(5140)); };
filter f_local5      { facility(local5); };
log { source(s_sys); filter(f_local5);
destination(d_central); flags(final); };

syslog-ng central server:

options { time_reopen (10);
          log_fifo_size (2097152);
          long_hostnames (off);
          use_dns (yes);
          dns_cache (yes);
          dns_cache_expire (28800);
          use_fqdn (no);
          create_dirs (yes);
          dir_perm (0755);
          perm (0644);
          keep_hostname (no);
          use_time_recvd (no);
          stats_freq(600);
          flush_timeout(16000);
          flush_lines(256);
          time_sleep(80);
        };

destination d_server { file("/logs/server.$LEVEL.log"); };

filter f_server { facility(local5) and program("server");
};

log { source(s_sys); filter(f_server);
destination(d_server); flags(final); };

to give a rough idea of message volume the server is
receiving approximately 50 million log lines per day on
average

any help/information would be appreciated

thanks