[syslog-ng] Configuring syslog-ng clients to log to a regular syslogd central log server

Malcolm Heath malcolmpdx at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 21:36:45 CET 2008

Hello,

My company is planning on deploying syslog-ng as the default syslog
daemon on our client images.  However, we have a requirement that
these machines log to a central log server owned by another group,
running the regular syslog daemon.

While there are plans in the works to move these central log servers
to syslog-ng, our deployment timelines do not line up, so I need to
figure out a way to have the syslog-ng clients send logs to the
central hosts, without having to upgrade them.

As near as I can tell, this should be no problem, using a destination
driver of the udp() type on the clients.  This assumes that the
message sent will be in a format that the syslogd can understand.

Could someone here confirm this for me?

Thanks.

Malcolm