[syslog-ng] Troubleshooting local5.* output

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 17:46:36 CET 2008

>  So, maybe someone can help me.  How do I find out how this java
>  process is writing to the log file, and why are messages not being
>  forwarded to the remote host?  lsof shows that the only process that
>  has the /var/log/mylogfile.log open is the syslog daemon.

My problem is probably due to a syslog or java configuration setting
but was hoping one of you could point me in the right direction.

The java process is writing to /var/log/mylogfile.log, and it is using
the local5 facility to do so.  This log file is not written to at all
if I take this line out of syslog.conf:

local5.*     /var/log/mylogfile.log

I just can't figure out why log messages are not forwarded to the
remote syslog-ng host.  Anyone have an idea how to troubleshoot this?