[syslog-ng] syslog-ng and log4j

Sigurður Bjarnason siggi at betware.com
Mon Mar 3 16:30:50 CET 2008

Hi All

My first time on this list so be gentle J

I have questions about syslog-ng and log4j.

I am using syslog-ng as central server with syslog-ng on clients forwarding logs to the central server and I have notice that logs from java ( log4j ) are being dropped under heavy load, so I did some investigating and found out that log4j only send on UDP rather then TCP like all other logs .

Is it possible to get log4j to send logs over TCP by sending logs from java to socket or otherwise, I would  guess that log4j is not capable of sending logs to TCP since I have tried to take the udp section out of the syslog-ng config and then no logs are received from java L

Can please someone tell me what my options are here, I really need to get logs from java over to the central server without this drop since these are the most critical logs on my system .

Regards

Siggi