[syslog-ng] suitability of syslog-ng with long messages

Joe Shaw joe at joeshaw.org
Tue Jun 24 16:32:54 CEST 2008

Hi,

Thanks for the info!

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 3:30 AM, Balazs Scheidler <bazsi at balabit.hu> wrote:
> The other question is FIFO size, like you mentioned. The worst case
> scenario is that need have 2MB * log_fifo_size() memory for each
> destination. It is currently not possible to limit fifo size by bytes,
> and setting the fifo size to a low value can cause problems when network
> is down.

The worst case is 2MB * log_fifo_size(), but in an ordinary case where
only some data is being buffered, and the messages are smaller than
2MB messages, are 2MB buffers still being allocated?  To put it
differently, is a buffer of log_msg_size() always allocated for the
cached messages regardless of size, or only for the actual size of the
message?

> The disk based buffering in the Premium Edition could help
> though (in that case a small number of messages are stored in memory the
> rest goes to disk).
>
> All in all, I'd wait for the framed transport with the next syslog-ng
> version and maybe would use the Premium Edition if budgets allow that.

How long until the next version? ;)

Joe