[syslog-ng] Collecting logs from a chrooted appli

Gault Stephane hqservers at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 5 16:46:49 CEST 2008

Hi,

> Well, /dev/log shouldn't be a directory. It should be a socket which programs could use by calling openlog/sendlog libc functions. syslog-ng will create the socket for you, you shouldn't do it yourself.

I setup syslog-ng.conf with this setings to let create the stream:

source src_chroot_appli { unix-stream("/var/appli/dev/log"); };

It works and create the socket.

then i config the application log stream path to /dev/log (as the application is chrooted, the root directory is already /var/appli, so logging to /dev/log is ok )

then the configuration to log it in the appli.log file in the /var/log/ outside the chroot :

destination appli_log { file("/var/log/appli.log"); };

then

log { source(src_chroot_appli); destination(appli_log); };

But nothing is created in the /var/log directory (outside chroot).

Btw: syslog-ng version is 1.6.9

Best regards,

S.Gautch