[syslog-ng] file() sourcing application logs

Alan Edmonds Alan.Edmonds at t-mobile.net
Wed Jun 4 20:08:58 CEST 2008

We are doing something similar; we use tomcat and apache.
For apache, something like this (we are using 2.0):

CustomLog "|/usr/bin/logger -p local1.info -t apache-access "
access-format

Then on syslog-ng I use the "tag" to point it to the right log file.

For tomcat, that is tougher;  stack dumps are a curse to syslog.

There is a hook in the Catalina startup scripts to create a named pipe
for gc.out and tomcat.out.  The it spawns a logger -p local2.info <
gc.out-named-pipe thingy to send to syslog-ng.

I can send more details if you need them.
Alan

T-Mobile International UK Limited
Company Registered Number: 3951860
Registered Office Address: Hatfield Business Park, Hatfield, Hertfordshire, AL10 9BW
Registered in England and Wales

NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER

This email (including attachments) is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, notify the sender immediately, delete this email from your system and do not disclose or use for any purpose