[syslog-ng] Example 3.4. Script to feed a growing logfile into syslog-ng

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Thu Jul 31 04:27:38 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 04:10:01PM -0400, Chris Pratt wrote:

> What I could really use is a logger that has the ability to read and
> forward to syslog the existing timestamp...

Take a look at relogger.pl in the syslog-ng source directory.  It will
be much more efficient than calling the "logger" command and might be
able to keep up with your traffic.

Failing that, you could hack the Perl Sys::Syslog.pm module to allow
you to specify the timestamp.  Or ask the current maintainer, maybe
he'll be in a good mood and do it for you.