[syslog-ng] preparing for 2.0.8

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Mon Jan 28 17:20:22 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm preparing a 2.0.8 release, but I'd like to avoid past mistakes with
recent releases, thus I'd be very grateful if some of you could test the
current snapshot.

There are two patches that I haven't received real feedback yet, the
others are so trivial that I doubt they'd cause problems.

The candidates that should be tested are below. I've also included a
description how I think the patches should be tested, to make it easier
for you to perform testing:

SIGHUP did not reopen files as needed for logrotation, fixed that
 (a8b9878ab38b10d24df7b773c8c580d341b22383)

  * the problem this patch fixes is that syslog-ng did not properly
    reopen destination files, it kept them opened and wrote into them
    even if a SIGHUP was sent to it
  * this was a regression in 2.0.7 and didn't affect earlier versions
  * to test whether the fix was ok, you should start the new version of
    syslog-ng, generate a continous stream of messages (for instance
    with loggen), and send rotate the output files using logrotate, or
    by hand
  * if syslog-ng starts a new file after rotation, then the fix was ok
  * if syslog-ng writes to the new file, or crashes or behaves oddly
    in any other was, then the fix was bad.

and:

fixed checking the DNS cache size limit
  40f999eaff5fdb217656ab6af03e336e8e703cbf

  * the problem was related to the support for a persistent set of DNS
    cache entries (dns-cache-hosts() option)
  * if the hosts file specified for dns-cache-hosts() contained over
    dns-cache-size() entries, syslog-ng quickly dumped core right after
    the reception of the first message
  * to test this, please enable dns-cache-hosts(), populate the file
    with over 1007 ip->name mappings
  * start syslog-ng, generate some messages and check whether:
    * syslog-ng behaves correctly (no crash, no other odd behaviour)
    * syslog-ng does not try to resolve the names that are already in
      the dns-cache, you can check this by adding an entry that has no
      DNS record and check whether syslog-ng successfully resolves the
      name (keep_hostname(no), use_dns(yes), dns_cache(persist-only))

I've now checked that the latest snapshot (syslog-ng-2.0.7+20080128.tar.gz)
contains both of these patches.

Both patches run the regression test suite well, but as you know real
world testing is the only thing that matters at the end.

I'm going to release 2.0.8 this week, any kind of help on the patches
above would help a lot.

Thanks in advance.