[syslog-ng] HUP to syslog-ng does not close files

Beirne Konarski bkonarski at fedex.com
Mon Jan 21 21:25:28 CET 2008

I'm upgrading from syslog-ng 2.0rc3 to 2.0.7.  One thing that no longer
works is when I send syslog-ng a hangup signal the currently open files
aren't closed and reopened when the config file is reread. I verified
this by running an lsof on syslog-ng and I see that it has files open
that say "Deleted" next to the filename in the lsof output.  If I send
syslog-ng a hangup signal without deleting I files I do see a log entry
that the config file is being reread.   Because of all this I have had
to change the restart line in the logrotate configuration from "syslog
reload" to "syslog restart".  Is this expected?

Thanks,
Beirne