[syslog-ng] Resolving host IPs on the central log server

Steve Bernacki syslogng at f.copacetic.net
Sun Jan 20 20:08:12 CET 2008

My setup is pretty simple:  I have a number of local syslog-ng
"collectors" feeding into one central syslog-ng server.  All systems are
running syslog-ng 2.0.7.   I'd like to optimize the collectors for speed
and thus not attempt to resolve hostnames there, but rather pass the
syslog message raw to the central log server who then performs the
IP->DNS translation and writes the message to disk.  I've experimented
with the various dns_* options to no avail, as it seems like syslog-ng
wants to either resolve the hostname at the collector, or not at all.
Am I missing something simple here, or is this not possible with 2.0.7?

Thanks for your help.
Steve

--
Steve Bernacki, Jr
To date, the Pan-Massachusetts Challenge has raised 204 million