[syslog-ng] Fail safe test fot syslog-ng

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Jan 16 03:00:58 CET 2008

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 13:50:20 +0200, dstuxo said:

> I am using syslog-ng in a system which is supposed to be fail safe to avoid
> data loss. However I encountered an unexpected delay and messages are lost.

This turns out to be a *lot* harder to achieve than you would expect...

> I know about the fsync(yes) option and I tried it, but with high load of
> messages It doesn't work proper (syslog-ng.config becomes corrupted and
> messages are also lost)

On any given hardware, there is an *absolute* upper limit to how many fsync()
operations it can support per second - and it's often quite low, on the order
of 50-75 per second.  This is mainly due to the fact that an fsync will almost
always cause a disk seek, which can take up to 10 milliseconds (restricting you
to 100 per second).  There's only a few ways around this:

0) Many/most disk drives have a rather small (8M to 64M) cache in front of them
- if you care about performance, you enable it, if you care about "fail safe",
you turn it off, because if you do a "wait 2 seconds then I power down",
anything that had made it to the disk's cache but wasn't written out *will go
away*.  If you need to run it with cache on, you need to make sure that (a) you
have a UPS so it never loses power before you can (b) make sure that you
properly shut down the disks, including a 'flush cache" and waiting for it to
complete, before pulling the power...

1) Tell syslog-ng to only fsync every <insert time unit here>, and be prepared
to lose the last few second's worth if there's a crash.

2) Be prepared to spend US$400,000 and up for a high-end EMC or similar disk
array that can handle insanely high I/O loads.  Part of this cost is the
battery backup for the disks, so that even if you "wait 2 seconds and power
down", the disks don't actually spin down.

3) Learn to accept that unless you spend lots of money, there's lots of ways
that you can lose messages.