[syslog-ng] syslog-ng does not resume log when disk is full at

Alexander Clouter ac56 at soas.ac.uk
Thu Feb 21 17:13:26 CET 2008

Hi,

Andrej Lobovski <drejc83 at hotmail.com> [20080221 17:01:58 +0100]:

> Thank you for your input, but
>
> > problem is that you just lost the previous nights logs
>
> this is actually not required in my case. I can actually lose all logs from
> time when disk was full, to the time when some disk space was freed.

Then you have two major problems:
1. why is all the date prior to 'disk full' getting lost
2. why bother to log if you do not care if the messages are lost?

> In my case it would be ok, that syslog-ng, when it runs out of disk space,
> writes everything from that point till the point it has some disk space, in
> dev/null instead in /var/logs/messages. Do you maybe have any clue on how
> to do that (as I am still lost in syslog-ng source code :) )?

Now this is really strange.  You are happy to lose the previous nights (if
not *all*) the logs but yet you are unhappy to type '/etc/init.d/syslog-ng
restart' when everything explodes?  What additional data do you lose by
restarting syslog-ng that you do not lose by not?

Cheers

Alex