[syslog-ng] Problems with short messages

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Mon Feb 11 10:03:53 CET 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-10 at 08:03 -0500, Guy Fleegman wrote:
> The first packet is only 1066 bytes long... and the second one is 69.
> I thought that the default log msg size was 8192...so i was not
> thinking that adjusting that in either direction would make a
> difference.... should it?

If it's over your desired length, then you don't need to adjust that.

The problem is that if you're using the UDP transport, messages
terminated by the datagram borders, e.g. each message is a separate
frame.

Syslog-ng will happily process UDP frames over 1024 bytes (even thought
the RFC says that's the limit), so change the sender to send it out with
a single frame.