[syslog-ng] anybody using flags(fallback) ?

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Sat Feb 9 02:17:41 CET 2008

Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I wrote earlier I'm in the process of redesigning syslog-ng
> internals, and some log statement flags are way more difficult to
> implement than with the previous model.
 >
> "fallback" -- as I see this can perfectly be substituted by a series of
> lost statement each with "final" flag.
>
> Using the final flag is also faster, as syslog-ng does not have to
> evaluate filters.
>
> What do you think? Does anyone use fallback in a way that is not
> possible using final?

Technically speaking, fallback *can* always be implimented using a combonation
of final flags and a non-final statement at the end, but it requires carefull
attention to detail, and places a dependency on the order of the log statements
in the configuration file. I don't like having a dependency on the order
of the log statements.

I would favor an easy to maintain configuration file over a challenge during
design of the code. We have already ended up with configurations that
dropped some messages, and without the fallback, it would be very difficult
to track down these events.