[syslog-ng] file driver not usable in version 1.6.12 & version 2.0.8 not installable

Uwe Galle uga at domestic.de
Thu Feb 7 20:08:34 CET 2008

Hi,

I am working with openSUSE 10.3 what comes with version 1.6.12
preinstalled. I tried to use the file driver with this version but it
didn't allow me to use it.

First I tried the following syslog-ng.conf file:

source s_file { file("/var/log/boot.msg"); };
destination d_file { file("/home/uga/Daten/test/syslog.log"); };
log {source (s_file); destination(d_file); };

When syslog-ng was started, it displayed the following error:

Re-Starting syslog servicesError opening file /var/log/boot.msg for
reading (Permission denied)
Error initializing configuration, exiting.
startproc:  exit status of parent of /sbin/syslog-ng: 1

OK, I thought, this sounds like an OS problem. I investigated the file
but didn't find any problem related to permissions. Then, I tried
another file and added that after the first line:

source s_file { file("/var/log/boot.msg"); };
source a_file { file("/var/log/apache2/access_log"); };
destination d_file { file("/home/uga/Daten/test/syslog.log"); };
log {source (s_file); destination(d_file); };

Now I got the error:

Re-Starting syslog servicesError opening
file /var/log/apache2/access_log for reading (Permission denied)
Error initializing configuration, exiting.
startproc:  exit status of parent of /sbin/syslog-ng: 1

I saw that the error related to the first file has disappeared but
reappeared with the second file. That let me suspect that this error is
a bug that always causes an error with the last source file in the
config file. To go sure I tried a third version:

source s_file { file("/var/log/boot.msg"); };
source a_file { file("/var/log/apache2/access_log"); };
source x_file { file("/home/uga/Daten/test/test.msg"); };
destination d_file { file("/home/uga/Daten/test/syslog.log"); };
log {source (s_file); destination(d_file); };

I fact, the error still appears, but not with the first two and already
tested files but with the last third and new file.

Now I installed the last Open Source version 2.0.8. All steps finished
without error but syslog-ng -V still shows "syslog-ng 1.6.12", even
after reboot.

I didn't find any entry in the FAQ related to these two problems so I
want to ask you to help me.

Thanks.