[syslog-ng] Behavior when followed files are renamed

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Thu Dec 11 23:37:40 CET 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 15:23 -0500, Joe Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I couldn't find this anywhere in the online docs.  What's the behavior
> of syslog-ng OSE when a file which is being followed with
> follow_freq() is renamed?

It will be read until EOF, and then if a new file happens to be there at
the same location, syslog-ng starts reading the new file. e.g. it
handles rotated logfiles just fine. Although I don't know if this is
your intention or not.

> Thanks,
> Joe
>
> P.S. From a git checkout of 3.0, doc/reference doesn't exist... is it
> gone, or does it get pulled from somewhere else when a tarball is
> built?

As far as I know the tarball does not contain the documentation either. It
is currently maintained completely separately from syslog-ng, but
the documentation team, thus the authentic source for syslog-ng documentation
is at http://www.balabit.com/support/documentation/. It is available in
both HTML and PDF format under Creative Commons. Also, I can create a
public git repository of the documentation if someone is willing to
contribute patches :)

I might add some script magic to add the documentation when I build the
tarball, but I haven't done that yet.