[syslog-ng] [patch] Add follow_freq_ms option

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Mon Aug 25 09:07:53 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 16:00 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I mentioned in the last thread, I've found myself wanting to have
> better than one second resolution for the follow_freq() option.
> Attached is a patch which adds a follow_freq_ms option, which takes
> its value in milliseconds rather than full seconds.  follow_freq()
> continues to work as it did previously.

First of all, thanks for your contibution.

I'm not sure  about the patch though, is millisecond polling really
needed? It might increase the load on the host significantly to check
files several times a second.

The reason this patch was born was solved in an unrelated manner (e.g.
increasing FIFO size).

Any other opinions?

If this turns out really useful, I'd not add a separate keyword, but
would permit the use of floating point numbers, e.g. follow_freq(0.1)
instead of follow_freq_ms(100)