[syslog-ng] problem with logger -t and $TAG

Nilshar nilshar at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 11:59:22 CEST 2008

Hello everyone.

Ok first sorry if this question has already been answered in an older
thread, but I found no way to search easily through the archives :/

So my problem is :

I'm telling apache to log access logs to logger like that :
>> TransferLog "| /usr/bin/logger -p local0.info -t apache_access"

so using the -t to define a custom tag, so I can easily filter it
using match() in filters.

as a destination in syslog-ng, I want a file with usual apache format,
so using :
>> destination df_apache_access {
>>        file("/var/log/apache/access.log"
>>        template("$MESSAGE\n") );
>> };

But in the file I got the apache_access: tag before the $MESSAGE. I
was thinking it would go to $TAG, which seems not be the case.

It's probably more a problem with logger... but wondering if anyone is
able to point me a way to fix that issue.. maybe using something else
than logger ?

Thanks.
Nilshar.