[syslog-ng] Bug: syslog 2.0.x circular message delivery if no DNS

Andreas Kurz andreas.kurz at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 19:02:29 CEST 2007

> > Just out of curiosity:
> >
> > What is the intention of the line 'tcp( localip(127.0.0.1) port(514) );' ?
> >
> > Which local logging messages are not processed if just using:
> >
> > source local { unix-stream("/dev/log" max-connections(200));
> >                      file("/proc/kmsg" log_prefix("kernel: "));
> >                     internal();
> >                   };
>
> We use multiple instances of syslog-ng on our systems to get logs from applications that can not syslog.
> We moved away from having the "system syslog" tail files and read pipes and placed this functionality into
> a separate syslog-ng that is started with and shutdown with the applications init scripts.
>
> These other instances of syslog-ng have NO WAY to "syslog" files as the author has declined the suggestion of
> having a "syslog" destination in syslog-ng (I know, I can write a patch :-). Anyhow, the only way to get
> data back into the "system syslog" which is where the internal messages need to go, is to have some supported
> destination. We have been using a syslog port, but I think we will be moving to a pipe for security reasons.
>
> I hope this is at least a little clear :-)

OK, I see .... We are using syslog-ng 2.0.5 and the  file() driver to
feed MySQL errors to syslog-ng. I think it's quite handy since
syslog-ng preserves the last logfile position on syslog-ng restarts.
Looks like this:

source s_tail { file("/var/log/mysql.err"
                    follow_freq(1) flags(no-parse)); };

Works very well for us.

Regards,
Andreas