[syslog-ng] What packages need?

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Tue Oct 2 09:10:36 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-01 at 11:27 -0700, Evan Rempel wrote:
> Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> > Only the PE version of syslog-ng has direct database connectivity in
> > which case you need libdbi8.
>
> Was there consideration of database access using ODBC? If there was,
> could you provide a couple of reasons (rational or otherwise) why
> ODBC was not implimented?

Not really. I did not even consider ODBC as I felt it was too
complicated for my case, and my perception was that ODBC is not that
well supported on Linux/UNIX.

Because of your email I've googled a bit, and I've found unixodbc, which
seems to do the trick, however it seems inherently more complex than
libdbi. (and some of the drivers cost extra money)

Do you have any specific advantage in mind regarding libdbi vs. ODBC?