[syslog-ng] Help understanding syslog-ng open-source code

emanuel em.mathis at inode.at
Tue Nov 27 23:40:24 CET 2007

Thanks for your reply. Its great to know I can get such competent help.
At first I probably should mention Im only a intermediate programmer so
bear with me.
My aim is to implement my own destination device driver for example to
connect to a database (yes I know there are already a few workarounds
and the premium edition supports this too).
But in the long run I want to be able to modify your program further and
I think this would be a good and not too hard start.

A question I have at the moment would be, I dont get the message flow
from source to destination.
Lets say I dont care about the source and I implement a new destination,
where does the log message from source meet the new destination? As I
gathered the connection is made in the logpipe/center file. Am I wrong
and/or did I miss something. I ask because this is so rarely used in the
code, mainly at the point of definition and then in cfg and cfg-grammer
file.

BTW, comments are usually NOT for the programmer ^^
Emanuel