[syslog-ng] Tuning help?

K K kkadow at gmail.com
Wed Nov 21 21:23:33 CET 2007

On Nov 21, 2007 12:51 PM, Cole Tuininga <cole.tuininga at gmail.com> wrote:
> I seem to be dropping a random message or two during the second loop.
> I've tried tuning the syslog-ng conf file several different ways
> without luck.

The unix-dgram driver can (will) be lossy if messages are being
written faster than they are being read out by syslog-ng, setting
log_fetch_limit(5) along with  flags(flow-control) makes random
dropping of messages at the input socket much more likely.

You might consider increasing flush_lines and log_fetch_limit until
the loss stops.

> Anybody have any ideas why I'm dropping random lines?  Thanks in advance...

Does FreeBSD have a kernel tunable for unix datagram buffers?
Another interesting test would be to use Time::HiRes qw( usleep ) sand
stick a  usleep(1) into the loop, maybe just every fifth time around.

Kevin