[syslog-ng] IPv6 Link local address use with syslog-ng

Philip Bellino pbellino at mrv.com
Tue Nov 20 16:48:49 CET 2007

Bazsi,

On the Linux 2.6.22.9 Redhat 4.1.0-3 Fedora Core 6 from CDs at my
disposal, you can edit the "/etc/xinetd.d/telnet" file and change
"flags" from IPv4 to IPv6. Note: You will still have IPv4 connectivity.

telnet fe80::zzzz:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz%interface_name - interface_name on most
Linux is "eth0"

Ping6 has a "-I" switch:

Ping6 -Ieth0 fe80::zzzz:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz

Ssh -6 -l username fe80::zzzz:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz%eth0

On Freebsd, I believe that their telnet,ping6, and ssh client supports
IPv6 by default and uses the same syntax above.

On Windows XP, look for the output of the ipconfig /all command for the
"Ethernet Adaptor Local Area Connection" and look for its Link local
address. That address will have a "%x" after it, where x is its
interface number. XP has a telnet and ping6 client.  The syntax for
those are:

telnet fe80::zzzz:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz%x
ping6 fe80::zzzz:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz%x

Solaris 8 and greater have telnet and ping that support IPv6 built in.

telnet fe80::zzzz:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz
Somehow Solaris knows how to add the scope internally, so specifying the
interface is not needed.

Ping -A inet6 fe80::zzzz:zzzz:zzzz:zzzz
The -A option denotes the address family to use.

I hope this helps.
Phil