[syslog-ng] about unix-dgram

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Mon Nov 19 06:55:06 CET 2007

hi ro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to config the following for client-ap to read messages one by one.
> and want to know the following configuration is supported over RHEL ES version 4.
>
> source s_remote { udp(ip(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) port(514)); };
 > destination d_remote { unix-dgram("/tmp/test.pipe"); };
 > log { source(s_remote); destination(d_remote); };

I suppose it would work, but why would you want to use dgram on a pipe?

> Additionally, is there any differences of reliability whether to use unix-dgram or to use pipe ?

Yes, dgram will always be the least reliable, but you aren't going onto the network so it may be irrelevant.

> Under the following configuration, client-ap need to decide boundary of message.

Yes, but there is a "new line" between messages anyway. You would have the same problem using dgram. There is
no garauntee that a dgram written to a destination will have the same boundaries as the dgram read at the receiving end.

> I want to avoid this.
>
> source s_remote { udp(ip(xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) port(514)); };
 > destination d_remote { pipe("/tmp/test.pipe"); };
 > log { source(s_remote); destination(d_remote); };

Why do you want to avoid this? It would work very reliably and the receiver just reads "lines".

Evan.