[syslog-ng] Is there any problems when network config is changed?

Geller, Sandor (IT) Sandor.Geller at morganstanley.com
Fri Nov 16 08:29:09 CET 2007

Hi,

> Is there any problems when following occurs?
>
> [Precondition]
> Syslog-ng starts with a config about A-ADDRESS(IP ADDRESS).

Don't specify IP address if you don't have to.

> [Question]
> 1. Down NIC(A-ADDRESS) with ifdown. → Is there any problems?

Other than the host syslog-ng is running on won't get the network
traffic ?

> 2. Change IP-ADDRES from A to B. → Is there any problems?

Nothing other than the above, as at this point you're not doing any
change to the system as the NIC is still down.

> 3. UP NIC(B-ADDRESS) with ifup → Is there any problems?
>
> I know that syslog-ng can't start after 3.

Of course it can't start because no program can bind to IP addresses
not owned by the host the program is running on.

What do you want to achieve? Please clarify your question.

Sandor