[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng-2.05 Segmentation Fault

Shashank Vinchurkar shashank at rohati.com
Thu Nov 8 19:35:05 CET 2007

I was hitting this issue on mips64 (had reported it on this list).
Debugging the issue the culprit seemed to be the call
g_free(self->re_matches) in function log_msg_clear_matches (logmsg.c).
The values of the self->re_matches was zero when it was getting segfault
but the pointer self->re_matches had a non-null value. Making the g_free
conditional seemed to work for me.

I was able to get past this issue but was seeing some other strange
behavior and could not get the syslog-ng to work on mips64. I was not
able to get the messages to log to the log file /var/log/messages
(reported it on this list). Debugging the issue it seemed the
g_string_printf in log_write_format_log function was not working
properly on 64bit mips and thus the log was never written to the file or
any other output device.