[syslog-ng] Rép. : Re: Question about Syslog

Evan Rempel erempel at uvic.ca
Fri Nov 2 17:55:54 CET 2007

>> I configure a central syslogger.
>> In my syslog-ng.conf
>>
>> destination "servername" {
>>    file("/var/log/"servername"/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/$HOST.log"
>>    owner(root) group(wheel) perm(0600) dir_perm(0700)
>> create_dirs(yes));
>> };
>>

>> But the syslog call/errors from "servername" is write in
>> /var/log/messages ...
>> What i'm making wrong?

It is a little difficult to determine what you are trying to do, but
I think I understand it.

Your "net" source is listening to the loopback address. I think your
intention is "messages from myself" but messages that are generated on the local
host do NOT go through the network, not even on the loopback address. For local messages
you need to use /dev/log and /proc/kmsg

Then in your "log" statements need to reference the "src" source rather than the "net" source.

Evan Rempel                erempel at uvic.ca
Senior Programmer Analyst        250.721.7691
Computing Services
University of Victoria