[syslog-ng] Distributed syslog architecture

Hiren Patel patelhn at telkom.co.za
Fri May 25 08:34:11 CEST 2007

the network devices need to be able to log to a remote syslog server, so
the requirement falls on the network devices more than it falls on the
syslog-ng server.

regarding the second point, if one has devices across the globe logging
to a central logging server, and the network links between the devices
that log and the syslog-ng server is broken, i don't see how this
requirement might be met. depending on the network architecture, i might
have had each 'region' logging to its own highly available syslog-ng
server, and sync/copy those logs to a central server/location once a
while.

the third requirement might be met by the periodic syncing of the logs
from various syslog-ng servers across the 'regions'.

i would think it depends largely on how reliable the network links are
on the whole network architecture as a whole, and plan with that in
consideration.

also to note is that remote logging usually happens over UDP, which is
unreliable by design.

On Thu, 2007-05-24 at 22:37 +0530, Raghu (Lists) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am working on a project to build distributed syslog-ing system for a
> very lager enterprise with offices all across the globe. Below are the
> main objectives:
>
> 1. Support for primarily network devices, like ciscos, netscreens, junipers etc
> 2. Minimum or no loss of messages when network fails
> 3. Central storage of all syslog messages
>
> Could you please give me your ideas or point me to any documentation
> that deals with such designs?
>
> Thank you!

Hiren Patel