[syslog-ng] logging from Cisco

Kalin KOZHUHAROV kalin.kozhuharov at jp.adecco.com
Thu May 24 02:31:29 CEST 2007

Bill Nash wrote:
> On Wed, 23 May 2007, Bill Nash wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 23 May 2007, Grigoreva, Yelena wrote:
>>
>>> I have enabled Cisco logging to my host SUSE 10.2. From the Wireshark tool I can see that I become the syslog messages and then I try to find them somewhere in /var/log/.... but w/t success. ;(
>>>
>>> Where are the syslog messages logged from external HW? I have set in my sysconf SYSLOGD_PARAMS="-rx -m 0" to enable external logging, but all the same-no effect.I have created local0, cisco files: I am not sure what file name should I give? where must it be specified?
>>>
>>> I will be grateful for any tip :)
>>>
>> Check local7. I think that's the default facility for Cisco devices.
>>

> Or local4, now that I really think on it. It depends on the type of device
> and which faction of Cisco (or purchased company) wrote the code.

Here is a part of my syslog-ng.conf, after some thorough research on the Cisco website:

#### {{{ Cisco, by device type
filter f_cisco_router   { facility(local2);     };
filter f_cisco_switch   { facility(local3);     };
filter f_cisco_firewall { facility(local4);     };
filter f_cisco_vpnbox   { facility(local5);     };
#### Cisco, by device type }}}
# vim: set nowrap foldmethod=marker :

The {{{ and }}} are used by vim to mark a "fold", so that it is shown as one-line. Just my 2 yen, in case you didn't know :-)

Kalin.