[syslog-ng] line of sendmail log output missing?

Centyx Centalix centyx at centyx.net
Fri May 4 22:12:46 CEST 2007

On 04May2007 05:40PM (+0200), Balazs Scheidler wrote:
> consistently losing a log message is strange, are you sure nothing else
> changed but the migration to syslog-ng? I have only seen losing messages
> like this when a process runs in a chroot-ed environment, with an
> inherited connection to /dev/log from the outside. Once the logger is
> restarted (regardless whether it is syslogd or syslog-ng), /dev/log gets
> reopened and the process stuck in a chroot cannot reconnect to /dev/log.
>
> The solution is to open a /dev/log socket inside the chroot as well, in
> this way when the chrooted child loses its /dev/log connection, it can
> reopen it and happily log onwards.
>
> The exact scenario I described happened with postfix but could apply to
> sendmail as well.
>
> --
> Bazsi

I am nearly certain that the syslog-ng migration is the culprit, as the
timestamps in the logs when the change occurred ( this is happening on multiple
servers ) are consistent with the times the switch was made to syslog-ng.

Furthermore, I have even tried switching back to syslogd on one of the
servers to see if this log message returns, and it does. Strange, indeed.

/home/virtual/FILESYSTEMTEMPLATE/log- is used inside of many chroots, but is created as a hardlink in the chrooted environments, so I wouldn't think that this would be an issue. However, it would make sense that the local delivery logs were missing if syslog-ng were having problems w/ the log device that was used by the chroot. How may I go about troubleshooting that the log device is functioning properly and being read by syslog-ng?

Thanks for all of your input!