[syslog-ng] General syslog question

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Thu May 3 00:31:43 CEST 2007

I have a general question if you don't mind.  I run OS X, and I am
considering replacing my built-in syslog with syslog-ng, and I have an
open source NMS that has an optional syslog daemon.  I know I can't run
two daemons listening on the same port, but I'm not sure how to get the
NMS' daemon working.  It appears I can't tell my Cisco switches to do
syslog to an alternate tcp port (other than 514), so I can't run the 2nd
daemon on another port only because my devices wouldn't send to it.

Question - Is there a way to redirect syslogs to certain facilty #'s using
syslog-ng to an alternate (something other than 514) syslog port so that
it could co-exist with my NMS' syslog daemon (it can listen on any port)?
Or if not, how do others handler this situation, so that their NMS box has
syslog services for local Unix stuff as always, and also supports another
syslog daemon receiving syslogs from the network?

Mark