[syslog-ng] Compressing syslog traffic across a WAN?

Alexander Clouter ac56 at soas.ac.uk
Fri Mar 23 16:46:57 CET 2007

Hi,

K K <kkadow at gmail.com> [20070322 14:02:27 -0500]:

> Has anybody found a good way to take a high-volume stream of UDP
> syslog packets, aggregate and compress the packets, and then recreate
> them, with the original source IPs, at the other end of a WAN circuit?
>
> Looks like Riverbed cannot optimize UDP syslog?.  Encapsulating the
> packets in an IPSEC tunnel with compression would make the packets
> smaller, but not reduce the packets-per-second.

This would be a 'trivial' thing to do with a Perl script....it would not even
have to decode the packets, just send and relay the messages at the other
end.

A short term hack would be to use ppp (load on the compression) with netcat
over TCP.

A quick search over at freshmeat.net (should always be a first port of call
for people) is:

http://www.winton.org.uk/zebedee/manual.html