[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng log file overwrite

Balazs Scheidler bazsi at balabit.hu
Mon Mar 19 18:38:30 CET 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-10 at 02:45 +0530, Padmanabhan, Rajeesh (GE Healthcare)
wrote:
>  Hi Kevin,
>
> Thanks a lot for the information & help.
>
> Is there a way to include 'user name' or userid from which the log
> generated to each log?  I coudnt find the macro (eg: $HOST) for user
> name/uid.

This information is not available in the syslog protocol currently, and
because of this syslog-ng does not support it.

Do you need this information for locally generated messages or messages
that are received on a network? For local processes it should be
possible to get the sender's credentials, at least on some of the
platform that syslog-ng supports. What platform are you using?