[syslog-ng] Syslog-ng fails to listen at port 514

Vivek Raju vivekraju at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 19:28:10 CET 2007

Hi,
        I am trying to implement a centralized syslog-ng solution for
testing purpose. My configuration is SLES10 on mainframe guest.

I had followed the steps given in the article below.

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/18044.html

I have created the configuration on server

#
# uncomment to process log messages from network:
udp(port(514));
tcp(ip("192.168.1.42") port(5140) keep-alive(yes));

# this is for separating out network hosts into individual log files.
destination std {
        file ("/var/log/HOSTS/$YEAR-$MONTH/$HOST/$FACILITY-$YEAR-$MONTH-$DAY"
                owner(root) group(root) perm(0600) dir_perm(0700)
create_dirs(y\es)
        );
};
log {
        source(src);
        destination(std);
};

I then ran SuSEconfig --module syslog-ng. After that i started the
syslog service thru /etc/init.d

On the client i have added these lines to /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf.in

# send everything to log host
destination loghost {
    tcp("192.168.1.42" port(5140));
};
log {
    source(src);
    destination(loghost);

My Problem is when i do netstat -an|grep 514 or netstat -an|grep 5140
nothing comes up. on the client side i see errors
in the /var/log/messages stating "error connecting to remote system"

I am not sure but i think the problem is because of UDP 514 or TCP
5140 not being working. I checked the /etc/services and looks fine.

has anyone had same kind of problem. Would be glad if someone could
help in determining the cause.

Vick

};