[syslog-ng] log statistics level

Bryan Henderson bryanh at giraffe-data.com
Sun Mar 11 04:04:13 CET 2007

>You can find the results in tomorrow's snapshot, however I'd appreciate
>if you could check my judgement and see if I did something wrong.

In main.c, there are four messages generated at NOTICE level that I think
are really INFO:

     syslog-ng starting up
     SIGHUP received, reloading configuration
     Termination requested via signal, terminating
     syslog-ng shutting down

The reason these aren't worthy of notice is that the system
administrator already knows about these events; he ordered them.
Something worthy of notice is something that happens independently.

While almost all the error reports are issued at ERROR level, I found
these that seem to be the same kind of errors, but have the lower
NOTICE level:

  cfg_lex.c: unknown parse flag
  cfg_grammar.c: The value specified for time_sleep is too large.

And here's one that's CRITICAL:

  macros.c: Internal error, unknown macro referenced

Isn't this just another error?  If a result of this is that Syslog
fails completely, it would be worth an ALERT, but then the message
should mention that Syslog failed completely.  CRITICAL is just for
when an entire major system is in imminent danger of collapse and
needs immediate attention.  I think a system could continue useful
work for quite a while without Syslog service.

In afsocket.c, "Number of allowed concurrent connections exceeded" is
an ERROR.  If this is what I think it is, it's not a case of Syslog being
broken, but nonetheless something that might need attention, so I would
call it WARNING or NOTICE.

And in affile.c, "Destination file is too old, removing" is to me
business as usual, not something someone is likely to want to respond to,
so I would make it INFO.

--
Bryan Henderson                                   San Jose, California